Thursday, May 13, 2010

Yukon Life

Visiting with my daughter has been terrific. We went camping on the weekend at the Takhini Hot Springs just outside of town. The campground was pretty good, with awesome private sites. We barbecued steaks over the fire, and chowed down on my homemade potato salad - yumm! The nights are no longer very dark as we near the summer solstice, so we camped under a dusky night sky. We took a dip in the hot springs, however we managed to frig around too long and got in as they were draining the pool...it was still nice to be in the mineral water, but I wanted more time!


Last night we drove up Grey Mountain, at least as far as we could before we ran into snow that has not yet melted. The road is interesting and very skinny at parts, with just enough room for one car, and no guardrails, as is common up here. I have some video, so will post when I sort through to see which one has the least amount of screaming.  We also went for a drive on Squatters Road, which has been around for decades and is still heavily used, particularly in the summer, as the winter can be brutal if you only have a tent or some of these other shelters pictured above. There were also a few very  nice cabins, and those owners often had large fences and signs warning trespassers. A. was concerned someone would come out of the woods and shoot us if we trespassed...yeeeehaw!


Another beautiful sunny day here in the Yukon. It has not been real warm, but the sun and blue skies most of the time are pretty easy to take. The air is so clean and fresh, simply intoxicating. I wish I could bottle it up and take it to the cities I'll be visiting in the coming year.


I'm heading to Skagway with a friend today to camp overnight. Skagway is a small town in Alaska on the pacific coast - ocean! This will be Karma's first glimpse of the Pacific Ocean. It will also be her first test at the American border...hope she passes! I'm cleaning her up today...


Stormy is staying behind with my daughter and her boyfriend and their colony of cats - MacGee, which is a great relief to me and for him. He has integrated into the colony well, and seems happy enough. My daughter takes good care of her kitties, so I'm happy he will be in a good home while I travel.

1 comment:

  1. You are so close to me here in Tsiigehtchic, well it is a 12 hour drive to WH but in the northern scheme of things and as the raven flies that is pretty darn close. Hope your trip to Slagways was fun.

    ReplyDelete

hey, share your thoughts with me.