Tuesday, May 4, 2010

May Snow is Good For Sore Eyes

That's what my ex-husband's Aunt Lucy would say. Collect some snow that fell in May and keep it in a glass jar. If someone gets sore eyes, you can bathe them with May snow to make them feel better.  I don't seem to have a clean glass jar at hand, but I did think about her today when I woke to see the blanket of snow that now covered the ground. I was less than impressed with the snow, however there was nothing to be done about this, so Stormy and I embraced another day off the road with earnest.  Down time is very valuable when traveling I've found. With all the visiting, I also enjoy some time alone to relax as we did today. This morning I snacked on whatever was in the fridge and did some reading. I'm reading the Catcher in the Rye, nearly finished. After that I have a novel by Julia Lennon, John's sister.


Lunch was had at the pub next door to the campsite. I can see it from my camper...that is rather convenient. Lunch was okay, but definitely pub food made by the skaterboy working in the kitchen. The french (Quebec) guy sitting on the stool across from me made a comment "a few years ago, a guy wearing a hat like that in here would have gotten a smack in the face". Um, what? He had on a stocking cap, the kind lots of the kids are wearing, and is popular with snowboarders/skateboarders. He also had long hair. I think it was more the hair this french dude had a problem with. He had problems with a lot of things and proceeded to enlighten me with what was wrong with his world. Funny, I don't remember getting a tip for bartending, so why are you unloading on me? The bartender didn't give him much more than a smile and went on about her business.  I ordered another beer and listened more for entertainment.  He was difficult to understand though, thick french accent.  He mentioned in one of his gripes that someone didn't hear him proper but he felt he spoke perfect english...um, no, sorry dude. I don't know what the hell you are saying half the time.  But you entertained me while I drank my beers.


After lunch I came back to the camper and Stormy and I took a lovely long nap, trying to ignore the construction racket across the street from my site. They are moving a lot of dirt around...


I've been surfing the net a bit, which is awesome that I can do that from the comfort of my camper, parked at my site. Every campground I've been to except for the Sleepy Hollow one, had wireless internet.  Great idea, works for me.


Being parked here has grounded me somewhat. I thought I might walk down the street a bit later to see what tickles my fancy for supper. It's the Alaska Highway, and very commercial at this portion. I just don't feel like cooking today!


Tomorrow we will hopefully head out for Whitehorse, with an overnight somewhere along the way. Much will depend on the weather I encounter. The forecast is good, sun and low winds, but that can change in an instant in the mountain ranges. Either way, I'm excited to finally see how Karma does on the mountains. I've been over some hilly country as I crossed Canada, but nothing compared to the Rocky Mountains. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.