Monday, May 3, 2010

Dawson Creek, Not an Average Teen Drama

So Stormy and I landed here yesterday, having left from Devon where we spent a fabulous weekend with my niece and her partner. We went shopping, drinking, partying, dining out - what more could you ask for? We also had time for chat, television, chores, and let's not forget glorious naps...thanks C. & J.


I was planning to head to Liard River today, or at the very least, Fort Nelson. Then I checked the oil, and saw it was down to the low notch, so I put in a couple of litres and a bit left in another. And then I left in a cloud of blue smoke. The faster I went, the more smoke poured out.  I'm not talking a puff of blue smoke...like oh look, blue smoke...I'm talking I could not see anything out the rear view window, including the semi that was trying to pass me...I made the executive decision as the mistress of my own universe to turn around and head back into town to have this checked out. My first stop was the campground to determine whether or not the problem was that I poured the wrong damn thing into the wrong reservoir again...I rifled through the garbage next to my campsite and yeah, I put the right stuff in.  So then I knew what to do. Call my mechanic shop in Waterloo. They would either tell me to pound sand because I am not there to provide them further business, or they would help me.  They chose to help me, and very graciously I might add. He even offered for me to call back if I had any further troubles.  He informed me I had overloaded the oil, as it only takes about 2 litres, and suggested that I go somewhere and get someone to drain some out before hitting the highway.  I asked if getting an oil change would be wise, as I was due for one anyhow, having driven close to 7000 kms in the past month.   Sure, great idea, then we know exactly how much is in there when they fill 'er up.  Okay, now we had a gameplan. Find somewhere in Dawson Creek to get the oil changed, today. I borrowed the phonebook from the campground office and began the search. I eventually found a shop that had the right filter and could take me right now.  I raced quickly drove over there only I was at the wrong location. The one I arrived at no longer carried filters for the old Westys, and I had called the shop in Fort St. John, about 45 minutes away. Not wanting to risk driving there with an oil overload, and getting pulled over for polluting the Alaska highway, I asked the grease monkey there for a phonebook. He told me to keep it, he had 7 more and went back to work. I flipped through the phonebook and decided to call two old standby's that will do in a pinch - Wal-Mart and Canadian Tire.  Wally world was booked so we were off to Canadian Tire.  I booked in, confirmed that he did indeed have the right filter (4 in fact) and parked at Wal-Mart until the appointment at 2:30pm.  I was not at a loss for activities.  Of course, a couple of trips into Wal-Mart were in order, as they had the bathroom and oh so many things to distract me. Bought me a pop-up screen tent, 10'x10'x6.5' for $50! I am excited to check it out. I was going to try it out this evening but then it started to snow.


Yes, snow. It isn't snowing hard, just a few flakes flying, but it is the principle of the matter at this point. I am not driving this thing in snow.  I am not in that much of a hurry that i need to be roaring through the mountain passes in a VW bus through 2 feet of snow, competing for highway with the hundreds of truckers who nearly blow you off the road. It is chilly out, for sure. The little ceramic heater I brought with me has sure come in handy. It has been going for hours tonight, as the canvas pop-up does little to retain the heat. Good thing I am not charged for what electricity  I use! I won't leave it on overnight though while we sleep, so we shall be bundled up tonight. I may even put Stormy's hoodie on him.


We stopped by the gorge pictured above a few days ago, can't recall just where so you'll have to google it yourself I reckon. It was quite dramatic, and when I first walked out onto the viewing platform, not knowing what to expect, I nearly fainted! Then I remembered myself and grabbed my camera - if I was going down, i was getting a photo first.


The cloud formations were pretty dramatic as I drove through norther Alberta yesterday. They were less dramatic today, more of a grey fuzzy I'm-about-to-rain-on-you look. Luckily I didn't get rained out, however if i have to shovel my way to the campground bathroom, I may be taking that portable toilet seat for it's maiden voyage under the dark of night.


Stormy spends a good bit of his time sleeping when the van is in transit. When he isn't sleeping, eating, drinking, or digging around in the litter box, he is on the counter behind me, watching over my shoulder. My niece snapped this photo before we were leaving yesterday.  He reminds me now and again that he is there with a little paw reaching out to scratch touch me. Sometimes I forget he is there and nearly jump clean out of my seat. Once in awhile he will meow, causing the same reaction. He sits in the only place I can't see in my 6 mirrors...


So here we sit, cozy in the van, snuggled under the quilts, listening to some tunes, and writing this post. The wind flaps the canvas tent above us, the trucks roar up and down the highway in the distance, and Stormy is snoring beside me. Tomorrow we leave for Liard River and I am so very looking forward to the hot springs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.