Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Daily Cabin Life

Stormy keeping watch over the stove
Looking back at my cabin

the lake is so pretty by the cabin, even if it is small

the big house - 3 apts in here, and a whole lotta unfinished

the piano man`s cabin at left, mine at right.

Stormy`s girlfriend



































Well, life in a cabin in the woods is a little different than life in an apartment. For one, I have a wood stove. I have come to both love and hate the wood stove. It must be the most contrary one I've come across for burning wood. I can have a full raging fire going, embers glowing red and orange and look back 10 minutes later and it has gone OUT. Not a flame or flicker in sight. It happens on a daily basis, often several times a day. I have never had to work so hard to get a frigging wood stove to burn. I've had them for years in other places I've lived, so I do know what I'm doing, but dammit, this stove is pissing me off. But when it is burning nicely, the heat is so nice to curl up with on a damp and rainy day here.

I usually get up about 8:30am-9am, which is late for me, but it is just so quiet here, there are no buses roaring by, no sirens blaring all night long, and no crackheads picking through the dumpster at midnight. It is also pretty dark out here. I don't have any curtains up, other than in the bathroom, and although there are blinds for all the windows, I don't close any of them. They all face the woods for the most part, and no one is out there staring in (that I know of!) so I've always enjoyed letting all of the natural light in, day and night. With the floor to ceiling glass in front, it is just awesome to have all of the natural light, even on rainy days. When I go to bed at night, I can barely see across the room, it's so dark. The most light comes from the electronics in the cabin - little white and yellow lights on my computer, little red light on the phone, little green light on the microwave, that kind of thing. It is amazing how much a light a tiny LED can provide.

After I get up, I normally start the wood fire, which as previously mentioned, can be a real bitch. Once that is done, I head for the computer to check in with the world. Facebook, email, CBC news, and the Australian news are my regular stops. After that, I usually get dressed, put on some music, and get moving on the daily chores - bring in more wood, wash up last night's dishes, clean the cat litter box, sweep up all the frigging mess the wood makes, and then it's time to get some breakfast/lunch. After that, its either sit down to do some writing, or head out for a hike and photo opportunity. Once back, I upload photos, maybe write a blog post, and then I'll usually watch something on tv. I don't have cable or satellite by choice here, but have a ton of stuff downloaded to watch when I'm in the mood.

Supper is usually in there somewhere, and more social networking, and probably a phonecall or two to someone. Lately there has been a number of phonecalls with the recruitment agency for Australia, and a friend of mine that has also interviewed calls often to compare notes. Then its either more television, an online game, or a book. I can only sit in this chair for so long per day, so often it is tv or a book.

About twice a week or so I head into Sooke for some groceries, and to check the mail. I have just general delivery at the post office, so must go into town for my mail. I don't mind, as I rarely get anything important in the mail these days. All of my bills come electronically, and no one seems to write a real letter anymore. Shopping in Sooke is pretty good, a choice of bigger grocery stores, so I don't have to actually leave Sooke to get what I need.

Every week or so, I make a trip into Victoria as well, though I don't have one planned for 2 more weeks now. I like to go into town to do more shopping, visit with friends, and run errands. My friend A. just picked up our concert t-shirts from Roger Waters: The Wall Live so I'll be stopping by her place the next time I'm in town, stoked for the shirt!

I've been thinking about taking a short jaunt up the coast later this month or next to Port Renfrew, and taking Stormy with me to camp for a few nights. We've missed camping in Karma, so looking forward to exploring somewhere new. For now, I'm content with cabin life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.