Thursday, November 25, 2010

Karma Doesn't Like Snow

And neither do I. I chose to spend fall and winter in Victoria because of the mild winter and lack of snow. So far it has snowed for the past 4 days. I am less than impressed. We don't have a lot of accumulation, but the sight of it makes me want to puke. I am so OVER Canadian winters. Winter in general. I hate it. I have a friend who loves winter and loves snow and works in the north so she can have it 9 months of the year. That is not me. Not even close. I hate looking at it. I hate driving in it. I hate shoveling it. I hate walking in it. I hate hearing about it. And this week I had to drive Karma in it, which I had hoped not to do. I had a couple of medical appointments that were too far to walk to, and I was less than enthused about trying to figure out public transit in time to get there. So Karma and I were off and about the city. It isn't my driving that worries me. I can handle the snow. I've grown up around snow, and driven in the absolute worst of it. It is the people around me who do not seem to know how to drive in snow, along with those who forgot how to drive in it from last year. They make fine spinnakers...hurtling themselves all over the road. THAT'S what scares me most - some stupid idiot driver stomping on the gas in front of me and sending themselves into a wild spin that then hits me.


I find it hilarious to see people so bundled up. Yes, there is snow on the ground, but it is 1C. It isn't -55C. There is no need for a down jacket, fur-trimmed hood pulled up over your head and drawn tight, and snow pants. There is only about 2 inches of snow, max, and most of that is melting. I refuse to buy another winter coat, or winter boots. I packed mine away in a locker on the other side of the country, and had planned on being in Mexico this winter, but instead found myself here. I wouldn't wear what is in the locker here anyhow, as it is meant for my northern travel to the REAL cold parts of the country. I can't imagine wearing my down jacket in this climate - I barely wore it in the northern one. But then I run hot too, which everyone who has shared air with me knows. Apparently I am just like my paternal grandmother...a compliment for sure, but I could do without the internal furnace.


So I am hoping the weather improves this week and I can get out walking again. It's been pretty slippery because in climates where they don't typically get snow, people seem confused about what to do with it...PLOW THE ROAD. SHOVEL THE SIDEWALKS. USE SAND because SALT IS TOO SLIMY AND SLIPPERY. It's that simple, but yet it seems to elude this city. They have taken the Vancouver stance - it's gonna rain soon, so why bother.


Is it time to leave for Australia yet? Dammit I hope I get that job...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.