Friday, April 23, 2010

So a quick wrap up of the past week with some highlights
- Ontario is huge. It takes FOREVER to cross, particularly in an old van at 90kms/hr. I have had a lot of trucks crawling up my bumper, and many trains of folks waiting to pass. I maintain the speed limit, but they want to go faster, so they just have to wait their turn to pass.
- we camped at a truck stop across from Wal-mart the first night out of southern Ontario, just past Sault Ste Marie. Noisy as hell. Stormy took off, the little bugger and I had to go chasing him in between all the transport trucks.  He is not a cat you want to lose in the dark.
- we camped two nights at a campground just outside Marathon. No one else was there the first night, but a camper showed up the following day. I slept most of the day...needed some downtime. So did Stormy.
- Lots of comments about the van still, and people asking to take photos. The older folks don't know what to make of it, the baby boomers wistfully recall the 60's and the freedoms they had back then, and the younger generation like it just because it's so very different than a plain white van.
- Stormy has been getting used to being on a lead and I've been taking him for walks. I feel bad that he doesn't get much exercise in the van if we are not parked somewhere he can go in the house. So we take walks. Sometimes he cooperates. Sometimes he freaks out and tries to run...most of the time he is a good little tomcat though, and we have great walks.
- northern Ontario's highway 17 TCH is littered with dead motels and gas bars, like a graveyard. Kind of sad, really.
- the temperatures were freezing at the last stop, but much warmer today with 21C most of the day. I can handle that. I do not want to wake up with snow on my lid. I will roll over and go back to sleep until it is gone.
- Stormy and I take little breaks at the picnic areas and he goes walking, rolling in the dirt, or just sprawling in the sun.
- the photo of the seat is where I sit to journal each day, and pull the little table around.
- the photo of the alcohol is a Polish liqueur my friend S. drank with me to toast the van. It was pretty damn strong...
- the compass is a new addition to the van in memory of my father, who always found the way home, and showed me the world on a map.

We head into Winnipeg for a few days tomorrow to chill with some friends there before heading across the prairies. I shall be ever so glad to see the end of Ontario for awhile. Lake Superior is one big bitch of a lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.