Friday, October 15, 2010

Under October Skies

Autumn has graciously arrived in Victoria. The leaves are changing color, with many already fallen into generous piles. Some trees won't lose their leaves. The days are warm and usually a period of sun comes to every day. It rains at night, and never very hard, not so far. I did purchase some stylish rubber boots just in case. November is just around the corner and I'm told it comes in with a wind and rain storm. Fine. Bring it on, I can take it. They have snow in the north now, shovels are out, and down jackets find their way out from the back of the closet. I am so glad I am not there. I'm over winter. I`ve had enough snowy, stormy, messy winters. If it snows here, I`m leaving.


Halloween is just a few weeks away. I don`t know if the building receives many trick-or-treaters, so shall have to find out before I buy any candy. I bought a ton last year, and saw nobody, so was forced to eat it all myself. There`s to be a Halloween party somewhere, and I`ve been thinking on costumes. I don`t know what I want to be, but I want to wear a big flowing cape My friend S. suggested I find a fish costume and wear my cape over that as a Cape Cod...hmmmm


The air is more crisp in the mornings, just 6C when I took the day`s catch from the kitty litter to the trash about 8am. It`s to warm up this afternoon, so I`ll likely head out somewhere for a stroll. This morning I finally put on a pair of socks. It was just too chilly on the toes. I keep my window open and my heat off. I`ve found this to be the only way to ensure the apartment doesn`t become like a sauna. My neighbors have their heat cranked up all around me...ugh. I`d rather put socks on than be hot and sweaty all day in my own apartment. Snuggling into a warm sweater or curling up under a handmade quilt is quite cozy. 


I`ve been busy checking out the orphanage`s information where I hope to volunteer. I plan to head there in March after a few weeks of camping and touring in California. I have to send in some paperwork before then. Stormy will be heading north at again to spend some time with my daughter and her 3 kitties. They love having him, and he settles in easily there. It will be too hot to take him south in the van, and they don`t allow pets at the orphanage. Just as well. I should think kitty litter at a temp of 105F would be rather noxious.


In the meantime, I`ve been writing. I write nearly every day, and have 3 chapters in draft form. I`ve got a notebook of notes, and another of people I hope to interview and have been working on the questions I have for each. When I`m not writing, I try to keep my hands busy, so have brought the yarn and needles out again. I`ve knit about 20 pairs so far, and enjoy seeing the finished products. I usually knit mittens for all my friends for Christmas, so need several pairs for that. I`ll gift some of the others and donate the rest of them to a local charity. I can knit without really looking at it, so I watch the telly while knitting.


I`m driving Karma less and less these days, choosing to walk when I can. It`s so very pleasant to walk in Victoria, and I plan to take full advantage of it. Stormy has been out for a few walks on his leash. Well, it`s more like a stand-in. There is not much walking a whole lot of standing around while he sniffs things all over, and when he flops to the ground and rolls around in the dirt. Typical boy. 


I can see the night sky from my bedroom window. I usually spend some time there watching the stars, sometimes the moon, before crawling into bed. This past weekend there was a brawl in the park across the street, in front of the high school. The police were called but by the time they showed their sluggish face, the kids were nearly all gone, just a handful left. It seemed to be a bit of a turf war between rival high schools. 


So here I sit, under October skies, enjoying life.








No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.