Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Karma: The tale of two blinking lights

Karma was finally able to get in to see our mechanic yesterday and resolved all of her issues. (we hope) As you may recall, the oil light came on when I was headed to see Jack Johnson, and I couldn't figure out why, as the oil level was fine. Well, turns out the wire was simply off the post, and so it came on and off each time it made contact with the post. So THAT was easy. The light for the engine temperature was also coming on and off at random times that also made no sense, but this time there was a problem, but just a wee one. Turns  out there were several cracks in the coolant level sensor, and fluid was leaking around it, shorting it out. That would explain why that light didn't make any sense too! Phew! So another easy fix. He found that one when he was looking for my steering issue - it began making some noise again. There is a small leak up front in the steering mechanism somewhere (I can't remember now) and so the fluid level was low again. I just have to keep an eye on the fluid level and it will be fine as the repair is over $400, which I don't really have in the budget right now. 


The problem with the ignition was also an easy fix - the battery is shot. He ran some tests and it isn't even charging up to 12 volts anymore. So I picked up a new battery for Karma. It was time...the old one was from 2001. Wayyyy overdue. Even though it was stored inside during the winter, it is still old. I've had to jump start it quite a few times these past several weeks, twice yesterday - once to leave home for the mechanics, and again when I was pulling into the bay of his garage. I haven't been able to install it yet though as I can't seem to get the front passenger seat moved far enough out of the way to get the old one out. I have already taken the battery out before, so I knew how to do it at one point, but I got frustrated yesterday trying to figure it out in the middle of the Canadian Tire parking lot in the pissing rain. I threw the battery in the back and drove home, thankfully the van started this time. 


There was also that very annoying problem with my electronics. Part of it was tied to the battery as the stereo deck would sometimes only seem to get enough power to play the tuner, but not spin cds. The problem with the satellite radio and gps power was just as expected, related to the shitty installation by Future Shop "professionals". Black tape was just not working. It appeared that the connection of the double female socket's male connector was not making proper contact with the female power connection socket...gee, what a surprise...heh heh...so Peter fixed it by bending out the connector post thingys for a tighter connection, and to keep it in there tight, instead of taping it, he used a series of tie-wraps, those plastic locking thingys. And it did the trick! We shoved the whole contraption back down in through the dashboard ashtray and it appears so far to  be working. Now if I can just keep that damned gps dock from losing suction and falling off my dash 30 times a day...any suggestions?


I also had a look at the oil leak in the engine block. Someone at some point had tried to fix the leak with silicone, but had long since dried out and was flaking off. He figures I might have scraped a lot off when I went in the ditch in August. There was also a deep scrape on the block, about an inch or two long, appeared to be fresh (this year). So also likely when I slammed the van into the ditch, it probably hit a rock. It isn't an issue though, just noted. I had the oil changed, and he recommended that I put a half litre of that stop leak stuff in, so I picked that also up at Canadian Tire. 


He also replaced a section of vacuum hose that was frayed and worn. I'm grateful for mechanics that notice these things when they're in there tinkering around for something else. Keeps me from future problems that might leave me on the side of the road. Thanks Peter Roberts! He's awesome and so knowledgeable about VW's and has several of his own, including a Westfalia. His shop charge is also half of what they charge in town. I would rather put my money into small business anyhow, and drive the few extra kms out to Metchosin to see Peter. Those guys usually seem to have a real passion for the VW's which for me is very important. They genuinely want to see you safely on the road with your VW for as long as you can keep it running. I shall be doing that. The next road trip is in December to Tacoma, WA. with a shorter road trip to Sooke Potholes tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.