Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Karma

I've decided to give the van a name - Karma.  The past year of my life has been an interesting year, with lots of highs and lows. The highs were exciting, and the lows, devastating.  I may not subscribe to any particular organized religion, or but the concept of karma does appeal to me. While my apartment fire was very much a low, the karmic side of that is I was grateful to be alive, I received a chubby little check from the insurance company with which I bought the van, and it turned out to be a terrific van is what I'm told. I took it to a well-known and respected VW mechanic this week for the required inspection, and his opinion overall of the van, as I wanted more than just the basic safety items checked over. He showed me the underside and remarked that it looked as good as if it just rolled out of the factory. He figures it was either stored inside during the winter, or at least covered up and never driven in the winter.  The owner I bought it from had it covered outside and parked for the winter, taking the battery out.  The mechanic felt someone had taken very good care of the van over the years, and that it was a sound vehicle.  There was an exhaust stud and gasket that needed replacing, so he did that. He also showed me the combustion chamber for the furnace and told me about the high incidence of fire with these things when they're this old. He said most people have them disconnected from the main gas line (as they are gas fired, not oil).  He also said that those who have fires are most likely from the furnace issue.  It was a no-brainer. Please disconnect the potential for FIRE. I have had enough for this year.


He also showed me how to work everything on the camper, where to fill the propane, the water, run the fridge, etc. The fridge and two burner stove both burn propane. The fridge also can burn electricity, or battery power. Apparently the fridge eats propane, so is much more economically run using either battery or electricity. There is no recreational battery in this model, but the option is there, and the place for it is under the driver's seat, so it wouldn't take up any space.  They are cheaper on the west coast, so I won't bother until then. I won't be cooking a ton in the van until I leave Canada I reckon. I'll be barbecuing or eating with friends.


So the curtains are finished, and now that the van is back home again and I have some time, I can move in all of the bedding. I didn't want to before as the engine is below the bed, and the mechanic needed access, of course.  The curtains look great, and I reused the tiebacks, as they already had the snaps that fit the screwhead snaps in the van, and were in good shape.  I also have some decor left to do inside and out. I want to hang a couple of posters, a small map, and so on inside. Outside is a different story, and one that will be a surprise until it actually all comes together as I have a few ideas I'm toying with.  Put it this way - the van will no longer be stark white, nor will it be one color.


My new passport came in the mail last week - yahoo! Now I can go across the borders. My former passport was water damaged in the fire. Ironically enough, it was the 'watermark' that was damaged by water.  I don't mind particularly - it had no stamps so had not seen anything interesting just yet.  My old one has lots of history, and I still have that as a souvenir.


Time is getting short, just a few weeks of work left!!! I have so much left to do, but it is all coming together. I should get my car back tomorrow or Friday and then can sell it and pay off that debt.  I'll be driving just the van after that! I have a road trip to Antigonish yet for work, but will likely rent a car for that.  I have my storage stuff nearly all packed up. Some of the things are still in use, so will wait a few more weeks before packing those up. I have so very little that is personal and older than 2 months here, I am reluctant to put the few things I do have away just yet.


Once I get my car back, I will be able to move things out of that and into the car. Then I have to clean my car...I may pay for someone to do that nasty chore. I spend a lot of time in my car...it gets messy.

Getting back to karma, I am planning to continue to be mindful of karma.  Along my journey for the next several months, if there is an opportunity to help someone, I shall do my best to do so.  Karma might kick me in the ass again if I dare stray...

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.