Friday, February 26, 2010

Ok, THAT was too close for comfort

Took the van out today, headed for the mechanic shop just outside of the city.  Started up on the 3rd try and probably would have started on the first try if i did something different. A new-to-me vehicle can take a little getting used to, particularly one with a standard transmission. I got stuck on a hill at the lights next door to my old apartment. I kept rolling back quite far, and finally got up it in second gear. It's tricky enough in a car, let alone a big van camper that's 25 years old and unfamiliar to me. I'm sure I'll get the knack soon enough, but it was worrisome for a few minutes. The asshole behind me kept inching closer, until I had no room to roll with my start.


It's pissing rain out, and a friggin gale of wind as well, blowing me around.  So I gave up and came home, and rescheduled the appt for Monday. I have work to do (job) so will just take it with me and work on it while waiting for the van to be ready. I'm hoping it doesn't need any work, just the new inspection (for transfer of ownership - stupid new NS rules).


I'm heading out soon to pick up some items to finish off the curtains for the van. Can't wait to get them in there later today and start moving in. I didn't want to put anything in there until the curtains were all back up. There won't be much of any value in there anyhow, just bedding and dishes, camping gear, etc. I want to pick up some dowels to block the windows from being forced open too.  There are locks but it won't hurt to have something extra.  After all, I am traveling alone for a fair piece of it (and Stormy, but he is a pussycat).


It's all coming together, and I am starting to get rather excited. It sure has been a great distraction from thinking about the unpleasant moments of the past year, like my father dying and my apartment building burning down on New Year's Eve.  I'm moving on, literally.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.