Monday, February 22, 2010

And then I bought it.

So the biggest hurdle has been completed. I bought a 1985 Volkswagon Vanagon. I am finally housed for the journey that lies ahead of Stormy and I. I will pick it up tomorrow as I have to fetch me some insurance and transfer the registration. Wow. For the first time in my life I have owned two vehicles at the same time. Of course, I'll be selling the car, post haste, but for now, I am a two-car owner.


I'm going to pick it up tomorrow at some point, and then I have a lot of work to do, so I hope we get some nice warm weather soon! March is just around the corner and sunny warm March days can be awesome to be out working on a vehicle. I am not referring to anything mechanical.  I may know the names of things and have a general idea of how things work, but I'll be letting a real mechanic under the hood.  My work will be in scouring that thing clean so we can start in a fresh pad; moving our stuff in, and of course, my favorite part - pimping the ride. I am going to try and not go overboard as I have to remember I might be looking at this stuff for a whole year in a confined space. Having said that, it will definitely be more than it appears now - white outside, and beige with brown trim inside.  Yawwwwnnn....


So I have some groovy fabric I picked up at Wal-Mart in Sydney a few weeks ago.  I'll be making new curtains for the bus, all around. I may have some left for other things like a pillow or seat cushion.  I'm taking down the rods and putting up velcro instead. I know I'm clumsy and would find a way to gash my head open on the rods as I moved about the bus. And with velcro, I can take them off altogether to let the air flow through as needed.


I have pretty near everything I need for my traveling kitchen. I also have all the bedding, pillows, foamie, towels, etc. I also have all my gadgets, notebooks, writing stuff.  I still need some outdoor gear, like a new kayak paddle, life jacket, and camp chairs. I lost all of those in the fire.  I had JUST taken them out a week or two prior to the fire.


It will be interesting to see just how much I can fit into the bus without it exploding out of the cupboards. I don't want crammed, I want efficiently packed. There is a difference. 


So much to do, so little time, but ready to GO.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.