Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Westy Update

So I went to see a 1972 Westfalia camper van. It was the same one I saw last summer on a road near my parent's apartment.  I had wanted to take a look then but I knew I wouldn't have the funds for several months, so just took photos and wrote the info down. It disappeared a few weeks later, only to reappear again for a few more weeks.  Then it was gone, until now. I found it earlier this week on kijiji and it is for sale. The gal who is selling it bought it in anticipation of a trip similar to mine, but her group has grown to 5 people, so they need something bigger.  She has others interested in the van, so I sure hope my $$$ comes in this week, before she sells it to someone else.


The van is a little different than I was expecting, but not a real big issue actually. The previous owner did the restoration, and while it isn't a terrible job, it wasn't a perfect job. He ripped out the cabinet with the sink, and the stationary seat behind the driver. In it's place he installed a bar fridge, one of the larger ones, about 3 feet tall, and brand new.  This will make food storage a whole lot better and less likelihood that I will get food poisoning. The old style fridges are not that efficient. Now the van has bigger space to move about as well, except now no one can sit on the other side of the table. But that's okay. I am going to get a storage cube for another seat that can pull up on the end of the table, or anywhere. 


The camper top is new, as is the canvas tent, which is great, as I intend to have it up most of the time, when I'm parked. The seats are in okay condition, and I was planning to buy seatcovers anyway.  The slatted windows all work and the screens are just fine, which is GREAT. I didn't try the roll down ones as the van was covered in ice and snow.  The cushion fabric is a little dirty,  but I'm not sure that I'll bother to get new covers as I intend to just throw a blanket over the seat anyway, as I can wash the blanket easily.  The curtains are a bit gawdy and poorly made so I'll be making new ones. Currently they are on little aluminum rails that are sharp and bent a bit, but I think I'll just stick some velcro on the van and velcro the curtains up. That way I can easily take them down when I want, and they'll go up just as easily.  I can take off just some of the curtain or all of it. And I just know I would slam my head into one of the rods if I leave them there. 


The gal who is selling the van gave me the name of the mechanic who has been doing the restoration, so I will call him to verify some things and an estimate for the remaining work to be done.  It is minimal if what the gal disclosed is all I need to put it on the road. 


There is no radio in it, just a gaping hole, but that suits me just fine. The van already  the speakers wired in and I'm guessing the former owner took the radio out to use elsewhere.  I was planning on getting a stereo put in if there wasn't one. I couldn't live without music. I'll take my sirius from car.



No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.