Monday, January 24, 2011

Whiffen Spit

just small crests today, but big seas find their way here



the calm inner harbour of Sooke

big stumps

someone built a driftwood shelter


love the purple seaweed, it really stands out


Pacific Ocean



must have been a big sea on recently that threw this seaweed up over the breakwater

the sun made a brief appearance




The rain stopped for a few hours yesterday so I drove to Whiffen Spit Park and hiked the breakwater trail to the end by the lighthouse. This is the land that protects Sooke Harbour, as you can see by the difference in the water - looking glass to cresting waves. It seemed to be a popular spot to walk dogs, as I saw several, including a brindled Great Dane who was very friendly and we were nearly nose to nose...

It is a lovely park, even in winter. They were collecting winter garbage when I was there yesterday. I almost felt like helping out...almost. I've done the collection for years in other communities I've lived in. I wanted to take photos and get in a good walk. Bending over for garbage was not on the agenda for the day. They have several benches in the park to rest on, but they were all soaking wet. There is also an outhouse and a couple of garbage cans along the way. Other than that it's pretty basic. The driftwood shelter was interesting for sure. I'm not sure who built it or for what purpose, or how long its been there. I'll have to get the scoop on that one. Either way, it was pretty cool. I remember crawling under the wooden breakwater in Grand Bruit and hanging out. We also used to crawl under some rocks that were resting against each other tee pee fashion and hang out next to the ocean like this shelter. 

The rain held off just long enough for me to get home. Within a few moments it began again. It's been raining pretty much every single day. It might not rain all day long every day, but there are days where the rain goes on and on. There's been some heavy rains, and then like today, just a heavy damp mist mixed with rain squalls. In other words - wet. 
I've had no trouble keeping busy. Stormy and I are doing very well in the cabin. I thought we might face the same cabin fever I was feeling in my apartment in town, but with the abundance of natural light in the cabin, floor to ceiling glass across the front, it just doesn't feel like that. Stormy LOVES the cabin like I knew he would. When he isn't looking out one of the many windows, he is curled up, grooming and sleeping near the wood stove. 

I don't have cable here, a first for me. It was offered, but I declined. I have more than enough on my computer to watch. I spend a great deal of time on the computer, either writing, researching, or the usual social communications - email and Facebook. I've also found a few gaming sites I enjoy from time to time. I miss knitting, but cannot afford to wreck my hands and arms again, so my hands often find themselves restless. I may have to pick up some paints again, and try that. I lost all of my paint supplies in the fire, so will need to build my supply back up again. I've also been reading but need to visit a used bookstore, or a charity shop to pick up a fresh selection. I don't have many with me like I used to, so have either read everything I own, or have decided I didn't want to. I had picked some up over the past year at yard sales and charity shops, hoping they would be good, but there have been some stinkers. 

Well, it's pissing rain again now. I was going to go chop some wood, but will wait until the rain breaks again. Such is life on Vancouver Island in the winter. Rain. At least everything is very green.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.