Thursday, August 19, 2010

Apartment News




So, the painting is finally finished in my apartment. They still have to install a tub liner, but that won't be in for about 6 weeks or more. I picked up my bed frame today and attempted to put it together. 3 hours later and much swearing, I finally got the frame together and was ready for the support slats. I had asked mr handyman to leave his drill behind for me. I also showed him the screw so he could leave me the proper bit size. I should have checked to be sure. I was left with a drill and NO bits. Kind of like loaning someone your car but forgetting to put the tires on. Pointless.

Sigh...so the bed slats are laying on the frame, and I am hoping they won't slip. I don't have a box spring as the slats are the support, but if they shift, I may find myself on the floor...so no monkeys jumping on the bed I reckon. The bed is otherwise, lovely hardwood. Someone in the building gave me the little nightstand. It was battered and paint chipped when I got it, originally plain wood, then white paint, then black paint. I spray painted it 'plum preserve' aka purple. The pillows came from the van, the bedding was all less than $40 at Walmart, and the curtain is a sheet I bought at Value Village in Halifax for $3. The lamp came from the same guy as the table. The storage cubes also came out of the van. I reckon the bed will hold it's value should I want to sell it when I leave here. Otherwise, it's worth storing while I hit the road again in the spring. There isn't anything on the walls yet, not likely to be much as I don't own much artwork, just a few posters and small paintings, nothing with a frame. I reckon I'll just put some larger posters and cloth items on the wall to add some color. Funny how different the room looks with and without flash. The walls are apartment beige but look yellow without the flash.

The living room isn't quite set up yet. The next door neighbor is giving me her sofa and love seat next week, so I just need some kind of coffee table. www.usedvictoria.com is a great site to find stuff. I already bought a table for my desk last weekend off there. After that, there won't be much else I really need or want to have in here. It is the least cluttered living space I've been in, as I lost all that STUFF in the fire. I'm okay with not having as much STUFF to deal with. Empty closet space...empty cupboards...WHAT? Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.