Friday, July 30, 2010

Goodbye My Home and Native Land



I’m heading south of the border tomorrow to see Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band. Currently his All Starr Band members are Rick Derringer, Richard Page, Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Wally Palmar, and Gregg Bissonette. A set list from the tour earlier this year included Hang On Sloopy, Free Ride, Dream Weaver, Rock N Roll Hoochie Koo, Broken Wings, Love is Alive and many more, with some classic Ringo and some from his new album, Y-Not. My friend and hostess A. is coming to Ringo with me, so it’s sure to be a great time. She is the queen of getting up close to the band with a GA ticket.

So when I leave here tomorrow, I’ll have everything I own in the van again. I have managed to really pare things down, so things are neat, organized, and easy to find. I simply cannot function otherwise. I had nightmaresvisions of a van full of loose items, slung around, and rooting for clean underwear only to come up with a broken flip-flop. It’s an ongoing chore to keep order in such a small place. I have it down to a science now, a place for everything and everything in its place.

I went to the travel clinic last night to review my travel plan with a nurse practictioner. In order for me to consider traveling to Panama, I would require the yellow fever vaccine, which I expected. You are required to have it to enter Panama, as well as to travel to most other countries when I leave Panama. There is a card that goes with your passport. I was also recommended to get the typhoid vaccine as well, since I would be volunteering and traveling through areas where typhoid is present. Good idea…I am not looking for any new and wonderful bugs…The NP also gave me a script for antibiotics to take in case of a bacterial issue in my system from eating local foods that might not have been sanitary.  I have to take anti-malaraial drugs when traveling through infected areas, but will pick that up when I get to Mexico, as it’s bound to be cheaper and readily available. I’m going to pick up a mosquito net to hang over my bed as the door of the van is often open and I don’t want to risk getting bitten by ANYTHING.

I’m going to miss spending time with my hosts, and watching their little one move through his milestones. He is such a cutie, and so very sociable. He has tantrums like any other toddler, but they never seem to spoil his usual good nature. It’s been great to be plugged in just beside their deck, and they’ve been great to make me feel like part of the family and household. I had wanted to spend some time in Victoria as a resident to see if I would like living here in the future and I did. I could easily see myself living and working here in Victoria once I’m ready to plant again.

I think I’ve contracted a cold this week, which is a total drag, so I am taking it as easy as I can, resting when I can, as I need to be in good shape for the driving ahead of me to 3 concerts in one week. It was bound to happen sooner or later.

With my departure from Canada comes a reduction in internet  and electricity as I plan to be camping at the beach or in the forests, wherever it’s free or nearly free, and just visiting internet cafes to catch up. I may look at getting a pay as you go internet card, but will have to see what the cost is for one in the USA. I don’t know how long I’ll be gone – anywhere from a couple of months, to 8 months, or more. I’m open to anything that catches my fancy…stay tuned…

No comments:

Post a Comment

hey, share your thoughts with me.